This manual provides a format, instruction, and drills appropriate for any pre-Kindergarten to Under-7 (pre-K to U-7) soccer program. It is written, however, using the following assumptions:
- There is a “Club” structure in place which provides the organization necessary to obtain field space, equipment, players and coaches.
- The program can handle from approximately 30 to 360 players.
- A sufficient number of volunteer coaches are available to limit “team” sizes to 12 or fewer players. Coaches do not need to have any prior experience.
- A knowledgeable soccer training coach will be used to correctly teach the skills and drills to the volunteer coaches.
- A wide range of physical and mental maturation exists in this age group. Coaches and the Club should keep players of like-ages and abilities together and tailor the material in this manual accordingly. This has two aspects: First, certain skills and fun games are easier to understand and to perform. Clearly, these are best for the youngest players. Second, more advanced drills and fun games may be restricted to the higher ages so that players, as they progress through the program (potentially represented by as many as six Spring and Fall seasons), continue to be challenged and do not get “bored.”
Acknowledgement: This is to acknowledge all of the wonderful coaches and teachers throughout the United States who have been dreaming up and presenting different types of skill demonstrations, drills, and fun games, since soccer truly went national beginning around 1970, so that the sport is enjoyable for our children.